Broek op Langedijk, Netherlands – 15 November 2021
We have been participating in multiple leading Battery and Tech events last months. To share our knowledge about the opportunity of silicon for next generation batteries, meet with potential customers and partners and showcase our specialty silicon solution. From the Batteries Event Lyon in September, to CleanTech Forum Europe in October and Innoenergy’s Business Booster in November. Next up: the Battery Show Europe in December.
Do you know what opportunity specialty silicon holds for next generation batteries? And how to contain silicon’s tendency to expand when charged? We are sharing our knowledge about these topics at the most important climate tech and battery innovation events. By sharing our knowledge of how silicon plays a key role in next generation batteries, helping to power the shift to electric driving. By showing how our specialty silicon solution brings winning battery performance. As ultimately, our dream is for everyone to enjoy the benefits of clean, electrically powered mobility..
Leading Battery Innovation and CleanTech conferences
End of September we attended Batteries Event Lyon France, the yearly event where all European battery industry players come together. More than 450 people attended the 3 days on site. Our CEO Casper Peeters presented our latest insights about specialty silicon for next generation batteries during the Lithium-ion materials sessions led by Tom Van Bellinghen from Umicore.
Two weeks later we joined CleanTech Forum Europe, to connect to partners and investors who we want to work towards a net zero future with. We were part of the Innovation Showcases “Pieces of the Decarbonization Puzzle”, where a variety of solutions were presented, amongst which E-magy silicon, that can contribute to the sprint to net zero.
First week of November we took part in Innoenergy’s Business Booster. The annual flagship event of EIT Innoenergy with the theme “”The new industrial revolution: sustainability, decarbonisation and digitalisation”. Bringing together 1,200+ attendees from over 40 countries. From start-ups, to energy industry representatives, financial communities, policy makers and regulators. InnoEnergy is the innovation engine for sustainable energy across Europe supported by the European Institute of Innovation and Technology.
Booming Battery market and importance of silicon for next gen batteries
What did we learn?
- There is urgent need to decarbonize our society, as heavily discussed and confirmed during COP26 in Glasgow. Change has to come from industry and it’s important to act now and scale fast.
- The forecast for the battery market 2030 increased strongly compared to 2 years ago. It’s expected that in 2030 ~70% of new vehicles will be EV. This will require 1 TWh of batteries in the EU per year. CEOs of European battery manufacturers presented ambitious production plans for scaling up.
- Local material supply gets more and more important to meet CO2 goals and E-magy is one of a few active material suppliers in Europe.
- Future market requirements can only be achieved by novel chemistries that can be scaled fast and cost efficient. This is where E-magy silicon can help.
- Silicon is also a big opportunity for anodes in generation 4 solid state batteries, as shown in the recent publication from University of California San Diego and LG Energy Solution.
- With our specialty silicon solution, we are on the right path to contribute by advancing electric mobility.
Besides, it was great to meet industrial companies and investors that all strive towards a net zero future again, at online and live events.
Next up: Battery Show Europe Conference
Coming month we will attend the Battery Show in Stuttgart where our CTO Dr Axel Schönecker will be part of the panel discussion on silicon anode evolution. Together with panellists from Elkem Silicones, Battrion, Sionic Energy and Amprius Technologies, we will discuss the latest developments in silicon anode materials.
The Battery Show is Europe’s largest trade fair for advanced battery and H/EV technology, taking place 30 November – 2 December 2021 in Stuttgart, Germany. This event is about sourcing the latest energy storage solutions, helping to reduce costs and improve the performance of applications.